Aquarius Water Conditioning Blog
How Do Water Softeners Work?
July 26th, 2016 Aquarius Blog
We’ll Show You What a Water Softener Can Do
We know that water softeners work to eliminate harsh dissolved minerals that make water hard, but what exactly does that mean? In it’s simplest form, your hard water system works in two steps: water softening, followed by system regeneration. Let’s take a deeper look at what those two steps entail.
Step 1: Water Softening
- Hard water is funneled into the softening system at its point of entry. That way, it can be properly treated before it’s filtered throughout your home.
- The water travels down into the resin bed, which Is full of tiny beads that are charged with sodium. Think of the resin bed as the gravel bottom of a fish tank — but better!
- Now the bartering begins! In order for your water to leave behind the calcium and magnesium that causes it to become hard, a scientific trade must occur. As water flows through the resin beads it will swap it’s dissolved, hard water minerals for sodium instead.
- Without those minerals, your water has now been successful softened and is ready to be pumped into your home for use.
Step 2: System Regeneration
- Now that the hard minerals have been transferred to the resin beads, it’s time to recharge them with sodium to prepare for the next wave of hard water.
- The second section or component of your water softener is the brine tank. This holds a brine or salt solution, that is used to strip the resin beads of harsh minerals.
- The brine solution is pumped back through the resin bed, flushing out the minerals and swapping them back for sodium instead.
- When the solution completes its cycle, it’s drained from the machine with the hard minerals in tow, and your system is now ready to soften water all over again.
A Kinetico water softener system, installed by Aquarius Water Conditioning, delivers Kinetico soft water to every room in your home — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, without interruption. If you have a busy home with people showering, bathing and doing laundry all in the same day, a conventional system just can’t keep up! Kinetico systems are powered by the kinetic energy of moving water, not electricity, making them the most efficient and environmentally-responsible water treatment systems in the world.
Benefits of Kinetico Soft Water
With a Kinetico water softener system, you’ll:
- Save money on soaps and cleaning products. You’ll use fewer detergents and cleaners and still have better cleaning results. Scale, soap scum and hard water stains are a thing of the past.
- Protect your plumbing. With soft water flowing throughout your plumbing pipes and fixtures, you’ll eliminate scale build-up and save money on costly repairs and replacement. Need a plumber? We can help.
- Protect appliances. Clean, soft water extends the life of your washer, dishwasher, refrigerator and any appliance that uses water.
- Eliminate water spotting. Hard water spots are gone when dishes, glasses, and silverware are washed in soft water.
- Assure whiter, brighter laundry. Detergents work better in soft water. Not only will you use less detergent, your laundry will be brighter and whiter than ever before.
- Experience softer, smoother skin and hair. Bathing with soft water is like bathing in a luxurious spa. No more itchy, dry skin or hair. You will feel the difference the very first time you experience it!
Are you interested in learning more about how you and your family can benefit from installing an in-home water softening system? If so, don’t hesitate to give the water treatment experts at Aquarius Water Conditioning a call! Our technicians are ready and willing to provide you with a complimentary water analysis and explain each option you have to help bring the softest, most pure water into your home day-in and day-out.