If you’re considering a whole house water filtration system in Mora, MN, you should speak to a professional with Aquarius Water Conditioning as soon as possible. Our company has been around for more than 30 years, so we know all about water filtration. We are incredibly proud to carry Kinetico water filtration systems, which are the best in the business. We can say without hesitation that Kinetico products deliver results like no others.
Maintaining Your Kinetico Filtration System
Once we install your Kinetico system, it’s essential to know it will need a little maintenance. The most important thing to do is change out a component known as the “prefilter.” This is a simple task, as you’ll learn in a bit.
But first, we think it’s also essential that you know what the prefilter is and how to know when it’s time to change it out. The prefilter is aptly named because it’s the part your water moves through before it hits the core of the filtration system. The prefilter helps get rid of sediment and sand. Afterward, the rest of the system removes any leftover contaminants.
So, how will you know when to change this part? More than likely, you should change it about every six months. However, if your water has more contaminants, you’ll probably want to change it sooner. A good rule of thumb would be to do it each three months instead.
Another sign the prefilter needs replacing is if you notice that the water pressure in your home has decreased. The reason is more than likely because the part is clogged. A professional with Aquarius Water Conditioning can always tell you when the prefilter needs to be switched out.
Changing the Prefilter
Here are the steps to follow. You’ll see just how easy it is.
- Step 1 – Shut the water off to the filtration system’s inlet and outlet, and press the red pressure release button.
- Step 2 – Gently twist the filter and pull it downward. You’ll probably need a wrench if you find it hard to do this. However, you’ll have to be careful. Too much force could cause some damage.
- Step 3 – After the filter is loose, remove the O-ring and set it aside. You’ll find it on the inside of the canister. If there’s something wrong with the O-ring and you need to replace it, take it to your nearest hardware store. You’ll need to make sure the replacement is the exact size. Or, you can contact Aquarius Water Conditioning, and we can help.
- Step 4 – Remove the old filter, discard it, and then wipe the canister with a soft cloth. You might need a little rust remover or bleach if there’s a substantial contaminant buildup. Just make sure you rinse out the canister thoroughly before re-attaching it.
- Step 5 – Replace the new filter in the canister and put it back in the system. Be careful not to over-tighten.
- Step 6 – Turn the water back into the outlet and inlet, and ensure nothing leaks.