When the time comes for a whole house water filtration system in Cottage Grove, MN, turn to the experts with Aquarius Water Conditioning. We’ll provide you with a Kinetico product that will deliver years of performance. Like any filtration system, it will need maintenance every once in a while. Switching out a part known as the prefilter will be essential, but this isn’t complicated. The following tips will help you do it easily.
When Do You Need to Change It?
As the name implies, the prefilter is what your water goes through before it enters the filtration system. It helps remove the sand and sediment, then the rest of the system takes out whatever contaminants are left over.
The prefilter should be changed in about the same timeframe as your car’s oil filter – about six months. But if your water has a lot of contaminants, you might want to think about changing it every three months. One good indication a filter change is needed is if the water pressure in your home decreases suddenly. That probably means the prefilter has become clogged to the point that it needs to be switched out.
Of course, if you’re not entirely sure when you’ll need a new prefilter, call an expert with Aquarius Water Conditioning. We’ll tell you everything you need to know.
How to Do It
Follow these steps, and you’ll be able to change your prefilter in no time.
- Turn off the water supply to the outlet and inlet of the filtration system. There’s also a red pressure release button you’ll need to press. Contact Aquarius Water Conditioning if you have any problems.
- Twist the filter and pull it down – gently on both counts. This will unscrew the filter. You might have to use a wrench if it doesn’t move easily. Be careful if that’s the case because you don’t want to risk damaging the system. Once you get the filter loose, take the O-ring and put it somewhere you won’t lose it. The O-ring is in the inner portion of the canister. If you think it needs to be replaced, take it to your local hardware store to find one that’s the exact size. Or, you could get in touch with us for a replacement.
- After the old filter is out, take a soft cloth to wipe out the canister. You might need to use a little bleach or rust remover if it has accumulated a lot of contaminants. If you use either, rinse the canister thoroughly before putting it back on.
- Then, put the old filter in the canister and secure it –make sure you don’t over-tighten it.
- Turn the water supply back onto the inlet and outlet, and you’re set. All you need to do will be to check for any leaks.
We’re Ready to Tell You More
Suppose you have problems changing the prefilter or want more information on a whole house water filtration system in Cottage Grove, MN. In that case, an Aquarius Water Conditioning professional is standing by. Contact us online or call our Little Canada office at 888-741-9025 to get in touch whenever you like. We’ll be ready to help in any way you need.