If you’re wondering how to remove nitrates from your drinking water, Aquarius Water Conditioning has the answer. Kinetico reverse osmosis (RO) filtration and ion exchange resins are two of the most effective methods. High nitrate levels in drinking water can pose serious health risks, particularly to infants and pregnant women. Both RO filtration and ion exchange resins can significantly reduce nitrate levels, providing a safe and reliable source of drinking water.
Here’s a quick look at each.
Reverse osmosis is a highly efficient water purification process that uses a semipermeable membrane to remove a wide range of impurities, including nitrates. Here’s how RO filtration works:
Mechanical filtration: The process starts with a pre-filter that removes larger particles and sediment from the water. This step helps protect the RO membrane from clogging.
Semipermeable membrane: The heart of the RO system is the semipermeable membrane. This membrane has tiny pores that allow water molecules to pass through while blocking larger ions and molecules, including nitrates. As the pressurized water passes through the membrane, the nitrate ions are physically blocked and separated from the purified water.
Clean water output: The purified water that passes through the RO membrane is collected for use as drinking water. The remaining concentrated brine, which contains the removed contaminants, is typically discharged down the drain.
Advantages of RO Filtration
- Comprehensive filtration: RO systems not only remove nitrates but several other contaminants. These include impurities such as heavy metals, viruses, bacteria, and more.
- Cost-effectiveness and low maintenance: RO systems are relatively affordable and require minimal maintenance. Regularly replacing the RO membrane and filters is the primary maintenance task.
- Compact and space-saving: RO systems are typically compact and can be installed under the sink or at the point of use, making them suitable for residential applications.
- Enhanced water quality: In addition to nitrate removal, RO systems can improve the taste, odor, and appearance of your drinking water.
Ion Exchange Resins
Ion exchange resins are another effective method for removing nitrates from drinking water. They work by replacing nitrate ions in the water with other ions that are more benign. Here’s how ion exchange resins operate:
- Ion exchange systems consist of a bed of resin beads. These beads are typically made from synthetic organic materials with a specific affinity for nitrate ions.
- As water containing nitrates flows through the resin bed, the nitrate ions in the water are exchanged for other ions in the resin beads. Commonly used exchange ions include chloride and sulfate.
- Over time, the resin beads become saturated with nitrate ions, and the system needs to be regenerated. This involves passing a brine solution (salt water) through the resin bed to flush out the nitrates and restore the resin’s capacity to exchange ions.
- After regeneration, the ion exchange system can continue to remove nitrates from the incoming water. The purified water is collected for use as drinking water.
Advantages of Ion Exchange Resins:
- No wastewater production: Ion exchange does not produce wastewater, making it a more environmentally friendly option.
- Low energy consumption: Ion exchange systems are energy-efficient and require minimal energy to operate.
- Minimal space requirements: Ion exchange systems can be compact and are suitable for residential use, particularly at the point of use.
Learn more about how to remove nitrates from your drinking water by contacting Aquarius Water Conditioning online or calling 844-565-9198.