A drinking water test in Minneapolis, MN, from Aquarius Water Conditioning can provide you with peace of mind. If something seems off – your water doesn’t quite taste right, it appears to be an odd color, or anything else is happening – we’ll find out what the problem might be and then help you come up with the best plan to deal with it. We have a wide range of Kinetico water purification products, so we’ll find the one that will do the best job of making your water pristine once again.
Do You Have Sulfur in Your Drinking Water?
One of the contaminants we test for is sulfur. Clean water has no taste and no odor. Water with too much sulfur in it, on the other hand, smells a bit like rotten eggs. An excess of sulfur can lead to issues. Here are just a couple.
- Increased bacteria – Bacteria use sulfur as a source of food and energy. This leads to the development of sulfuric gas, the waste from those bacteria, which accounts for the rotten-egg smell.
- Stains – Water that contains too much sulfur can result in stained appliances. Sulfur can stain your toilets and sinks and even stain your clothes. When there’s an excessive amount of sulfur in your plumbing, it can do damage that can be very costly to fix.
While this sounds like sulfur is always harmful, that’s not really the case. In moderation, sulfur is healthy. The mineral is found in many of our favorite foods, including cheese, eggs, and others. Sulfur is an integral part of the diet. But if you get too much – whether through your food or drinking water – it can result in dehydration and diarrhea.
So, if you’re noticing a rotten-egg odor coming from your water or have any other reason to believe your water isn’t as good as it should be, get in touch with Aquarius Water Conditioning. We’ll perform a complimentary water test and then let you know the issue and how we can fix it.
Free Water Analysis
Aquarius will come to your home and test your water for a variety of issues such as contaminants, hardness, minerals, chlorine, sediment and more. For Free. No obligation. Learn what is in your home’s water today.
Other Reasons Water Can Smell Bad
While the rotten egg smell of sulfur is probably the most prevalent drinking water problem related to odors, there are others. If your water smells like any of the following, contact Aquarius Water Conditioning as soon as you can so we can perform a test.
- Metallic smell – This is usually due to an excess of minerals in your water supply, such as iron, zinc, copper, and manganese. Often, this is a sign that those minerals have leached from your plumbing system, mainly if your plumbing is older.
- Wet dog – A damp dog smell might signify algae in your water supply. If small amounts of sediment accompany the smell, there are probably corroded metals in your water.
- A swimming pool – Municipal water supplies often use chlorine to kill pathogens, such as viruses and bacteria. When there’s too much in your water, it will smell like a swimming pool. Too much chlorine can also damage the rubber components of appliances such as your washing machine and dishwasher.
Schedule a drinking water test in Minneapolis, MN, with Aquarius Water Conditioning by contacting us online or calling 888-741-9025.