When you want true peace of mind regarding the water quality in your home, schedule a drinking water test in Detroit Lakes, MN, with Aquarius Water Conditioning. You might be worried because your water looks a little strange, or there’s something not quite right with the way it tastes. Whatever the problem, get in touch with us as soon as possible. We’ll perform a thorough test to see what’s wrong and devise the best possible plan to correct whatever issue you’re experiencing.
We can test for a lot of contaminants, including sulfur. When water is clean, it has no smell or taste. But if it contains sulfur, you’ll notice something’s wrong. Your water will have a gross smell, something close to rotten eggs. But a bad smell won’t be the only problem – an excessive amount of sulfur could also lead to other issues. These are just two to keep in mind.
- Bacterial contamination – Sulfur is not only a great source of energy for bacteria but also food. When bacteria feed on sulfur, that results in sulfuric gas, which causes your water to smell like rotten eggs. Sulfuric gas is waste produced by bacteria.
- Staining – If you have too much sulfur in your water, that will lead to stains on your sinks and toilets. Unfortunately, the staining doesn’t stop there. Excessive sulfur could ruin your clothes as well. Sulfur can even do a number on your pipes, damaging them to the point that you’ll need costly repairs.
Sulfur can be good for you if you don’t get too much. You’ll find it in many foods you probably eat regularly, such as eggs, cheese, and many more. If you ingest too much of it, however, that can lead to diarrhea and dehydration.
If you can smell your water, that’s never a good thing. You’ll need to get in touch with the experts at Aquarius Water Conditioning at your earliest convenience. We’ll test your water, and if we do find that it has too much sulfur, we’ll show you the best ways to eliminate it for good.
Water Can Smell Bad for Other Reasons
That rotten-egg odor is probably the most common one associated with water. But other smells can signify a problem. Here’s a quick look at a few of them.
- Your water smells like a swimming pool – That means it has too much chlorine, a chemical typically associated with keeping swimming pool water free of contaminants. Municipal water treatment facilities will sometimes use it to kill bacteria and viruses.
- Your water smells like metal – This is probably because too much copper, iron, or zinc has broken off from your pipes. If you have older plumbing, there’s a higher risk.
- Your water smells like a wet dog – If you have this issue, you could have too much algae in your water supply.
Free Water Analysis
Aquarius will come to your home and test your water for a variety of issues such as contaminants, hardness, minerals, chlorine, sediment and more. For Free. No obligation. Learn what is in your home’s water today.
Schedule a drinking water test in Detroit Lakes, MN by contacting Aquarius Water Conditioning online or calling 888-741-9025. One of the friendly representatives in our Detroit Lakes office will be more than happy to help.