Aquarius Water Conditioning Blog
How to Choose the Best Water Softener
February 11th, 2019 Aquarius Blog
If you’re tired of having dry, itchy skin, cleaning calcium stains of your faucets, and
There are a few things to keep in mind in order to choose the best water softener.
The Type of Softener
Since every home is different, there are a lot of different kinds of water softeners. Some common models include:
- Salt-based softeners cycle water through two basins and replace the minerals in hard water with sodium to soften it.
- Salt-free softeners replace the hard water minerals with
potassium-chloridesalt substitute to prevent the minerals from becoming scale that sticks to your fixtures and dishware.
- Dual-tank softeners allow one tank to still filter your water while the other is charging so there’s no downtime, and you’ll always have soft water.
The Size of the Tank
Generally speaking, the large your home and/or family is, the bigger the tank you need for your water softener. If you don’t have a big enough tank, your softener won’t be able to work fast enough to provide your family with enough soft water.
The Features of the Tank
Certain water softeners have features that make them more appealing. Your water softener could have:
- Time Control: These means the unit will only recharge during certain times of the day. However, they may not be that efficient if you have a heavy water usage.
- DIR Controls: When softeners have this feature, they only recharge when they have to, helping you save on salt and water.
Still wondering what water softener is best for you? Kinetico is the best on the market, so ask an expert at Aquarius for help!