Aquarius Water Conditioning Blog
What Kind of Water is Best for Brewing Beer at Home?
July 16th, 2020 Aquarius Water Conditioning Water Filtration
If you prefer to brew your favorite styles of beer at home then you already know that the quality of your water supply plays a key role in the process. According to Craft Beer & Brewing, though beer can be brewed using any type of water, the choice between hard, soft, or alkaline water will impact the overall taste and flavoring of your beer.
- Hard water for brewing beer, for example, can create “off flavors” that result from chlorine and certain chemicals found in your tap water.
- Some homebrewers also recommend staying away from distilled water, as the process of boiling and condensing water back to its liquid form can remove essential minerals that help initiate the fermentation process (Kegerator.com).
- You may consider bottled water as a simple solution to homebrewing, but remember this can quickly add up in costs and in the time it takes you to go to the store. On average, it can take up to seven gallons of water to brew a single gallon of beer (The Growler), which means over time, your fun, new hobby can quickly transform into an expense investment.
Best Water for Homebrewing
Though many homebrewers rely on their own unique methods for crafting beer, the majority agree that filtered water offers the best water solution for homebrewing.
Looking to enhance your homebrewing process? Here are 3 tips to improve your water quality:
- Schedule a Water Test: Before you even get started with your homebrewing project, you need to know the type of water quality you’re dealing with first. At Aquarius Water Conditioning, we offer homeowners a free water analysis to identify your main water source and help you understand the types of minerals and chemicals that are coming out of your tap water system.
- Evaluate Your Options: Following the free water analysis, our team will meet with you to discuss your concerns, needs, and options to improve the quality of your water supply. Because water issues can differ from house to house, you may be experiencing certain water problems that require a customized solution. Our team will help you evaluate your options and come up with the best, cost-effective option that benefits your entire home, including your tap water quality, plumbing, and appliances.
- Invest in a Home Filtration System: Because there are many different types of drinking water systems on the market that help reduce contaminants, it can be difficult to know which option is the right fit for your home, family, and water supply needs. Reverse Osmosis (RO) filtration, for instance, is one of the most effective water purification systems available. And one that renowned homebrewers recommend for quality beer making: “…the RO system will just remove solid and sediment from the water by running it through a filter and a semipermeable membrane…the best water to use and what we recommend is Filtered water [and] RO Water…,” (Mr. Beer).
Learn More About Your Homebrew Water Quality
Get a head start on your homebrewing basics by contacting Aquarius for a free home water analysis. We’ll solve your specific water filtration challenges without burdening your time or your budget. Give us a call at 888-741-9025 or fill out our online form today!