For us Midwesterners, traveling to our family cabin or lake house is at the top of our summer priority list! There’s nothing more refreshing than heading up north to enjoy fresh air, woodland surroundings, and plenty of free time fishing on a nearby lake.
Though we all love spending our weekends and well-deserved PTO at the cabin, the quality of our water supply can quickly turn our dream summer getaway into a nightmare!
Why Does My Cabin Water Taste Different?
Whether you live in Minnesota or the Wisconsin area, it’s more than likely your cabin up north is receiving well water or “groundwater.” Rather than sourcing your water supply from the surface or a dedicated reservoir area, your cabin water comes directly from the ground, which means it’s often high in minerals that can affect the quality of its taste and smell.
Because your cabin’s water source is filled with iron, calcium, magnesium, and other common minerals found in hard water, it can have drastic effects on your appliances, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, hair, skin, and even your health.
Common Signs You Have Hard Water at Your Cabin:
- Discoloration: Are your plumbing fixtures turning different colors (i.e. orange, pink, blue, or green)? When certain chemicals or high concentrations of iron and magnesium from hard water oxidize, they can leave rust stains on your pipes and other cabin fixtures.
- Residue: Do you notice traces of soap scum in your shower area or bathroom sink? This chalky white substance is a tell-tale sign that hard water minerals are counteracting with your soap’s ability to bind and remove dirt and debris.
- Odor: Does your water smell like rotten eggs or taste unpleasant? Hydrogen sulfide can affect your water and sometimes render it undrinkable.
- Sediments: Seeing cloudy water or finding tiny particles floating around in your glass? This may indicate hard water scaling.
- Water Spots: Do you notice your glassware is spotted even after you take it out of the dishwasher? When minerals build up over time, they leave scaling off-white, chalky deposits behind on your dishes.
How to Fix Hard Water at the Cabin
The good news is you won’t need to spend another summer dealing with hard water or buying endless amounts of plastic water bottles that are bad for your wallet and even worse for the environment!
At Aquarius Water Conditioning, we offer advanced cabin water softening systems to improve the taste, smell, and quality of your drinking water! In addition, our services can help improve the function and longevity of your appliances and cabin’s plumbing system. As a leading dealer in Kinetico Water Systems, our team is dedicated to providing both Minnesota and Wisconsin cabin owners effective water treatment options that suit your budget.
We also offer free water analysis to identify your cabin’s water source to help you find a custom solution that helps
- Remove Rust
- Filter Out Contaminants
- Eliminate Hardscaping
- Remove Smell/Odors
Need advanced water conditioning for your cabin? To schedule your free in-cabin water analysis, fill out our online form, and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly! We look forward to helping you enjoy cleaner, safer water at your cabin all season long!