Aquarius Water Conditioning Blog
How Often Should You Change Your Air Filter?
February 19th, 2020 Aquarius Blog
The air filters in your home’s heating and cooling system should be changed regularly to keep your system running efficiently and to prevent a reduction in your indoor air quality. Keep reading below to learn when you should change the filters in your home.
Factors That Affect Your Air Filter
Before we can dive into when it’s time to change the air filter in your home, it’s important to know the different variables that can cause the need for you to change your filter more often. These include:
- The air quality in your city or town. If you live in a large city, your home’s air may be more polluted, causing the need to replace your air filters more often. In this case, you should pay close attention to your HVAC system.
- If you have pets. Though we love our furry friends, their dander and hair can clog air filters and cause allergy attacks. They can also track in dirt from outside.
- Medical conditions. If you or your family members have any respiratory conditions or allergies, you’ll want to change your air filters more frequently to keep your air as clean as possible.
- If your home is large. Bigger homes circulate more air, which means your filters may be working harder.
- The season. Through the fall, spring and summer, outdoor environmental contaminants can find their way indoors. You’ll want to stay on top of your air filters this time of year especially.
When to Change Your Air Filter
In addition to these variables, the rate at which your air filter should be changed also relies on the type of air filter you have in your home. If you have a fiberglass filter, you’ll need to replace these every month. If you have a pleated air filter, typically made from higher quality materials, these should be replaced between every 3-6 months.
If your home faces any of the variables mentioned above, you’ll want to change your air filter closer to the 3-month mark — especially during allergy season.
Heating and Cooling Services in MN and WS
Aquarius Home Services is a full-service heating and air conditioner repair or replacement company serving central Minnesota, including the greater Minneapolis and St. Paul area. To schedule an appointment, call us at 888-741-9025 or use the form below.