Aquarius Water Conditioning Blog
Will Drinking Water Really Get Rid of My Cold?
January 28th, 2020 Aquarius Blog
7 Benefits of Drinking Water to Fight a Cold
Unfortunately, an overnight “cure” for a cold does not exist. However, one of (if not the most) simple ways to fight the common cold is to make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Read on how you can protect your health this winter.
How Does Drinking Water Help Fight a Cold?
- Fights Dehydration. Dehydration is commonly overlooked or forgotten about, but when you are sick, this is one of the things you keep in mind at all times. More often than not, the common cold is accompanied by running a fever, especially in children. You may notice sweating as a symptom due to the fever. This is why it is essential to drink plenty of water to replace what your body is losing.
- Clears congestion. Another symptom you may notice is congestion or stuffiness in your nose, head, or chest. Drinking water will also help to fight this symptom by breaking and loosening up that mucus and flushing it out.
- Wards off bacteria and disease. Water helps to keep your skin, eyes, and mouth moist, which, in turn, repels bacteria that can cause an infection.
- Rids your body of mucus. Sometimes the excess mucus can cause an upset stomach, which may lead to vomiting. Vomiting goes hand-in-hand with water loss at an even faster rate, which must be replenished in order to keep your body functioning properly.
- Releases toxins. Drinking plenty of water also helps to flush toxins from our bodies through our kidneys. Ridding our bodies of those toxins helps to boost the immune system, which leads to a quicker recovery time.
- Increases the amount of oxygen your blood. Increasing water intake means you are putting oxygen in your blood, which is delivered to your organs and tissues.
- Aids in a better night’s sleep. Water also triggers the brain to produce melatonin, a chemical that helps us to get better sleep. As we all know, a good night’s sleep is critical during times of illness!
The proper amount of water intake varies from person to person, so ask your doctor if you are unsure. One last thing to think about is whether or not the water you are drinking is filtered. Contact Aquarius Water Conditioning for a free quote today!