We love all the blessings the holidays bring – quality time with family and friends, delicious food, and cheer to all. The one thing we don’t like that the holidays bring us is a hefty utility bill. With everyone convening at your home to celebrate, you may end up getting a larger than life water bill from Santa. But we’re here to help! Here are some ways to save water during the holidays.
- Defrost frozen foods in the fridge instead of running them under cold water. Leaving the faucet on while you try to defrost a 20 pound ham will waste a ton of water, not to mention, it will add a huge weight to your water bill. Let your frozen items chill in the fridge for a while instead.
- Wash your fruits and veggies in a bowl. In the same regard, instead of leaving the water running over them, wash your produce in a contained amount of water and save gallons from pouring down the drain.
- Set the table with a pitcher of water. Guests constantly filling their glasses can lead to leftover, wasted water. The pitcher allows guests to only pour what they need.
- Install faucet aerators. Faucets make up 15% of a home’s indoor water use and they usually spew out water at double the rate necessary. Installing aerators can fix this problems for only a few dollars per sink.
- Use the lower setting on the dishwasher. Very rarely do you have to use the regular setting or pre-wash your dishes to get them clean. The light setting on your dishwasher will clean your dishes just as well and use up to 55% less water.
While it may seem like you are bound to use a ton of water during the holidays, these tips will help you use a splash less (see what we did there?). By reducing your water usage, you’ll be helping the planet and helping your wallet. And remember, always have clean, filtered water with a Kinetico Home Water System from Aquarius Water Conditioning.
For more information about our whole house water filtration options, dial 888-741-9025 today.