Aquarius Water Conditioning Blog
5 Ways to Take Your Iced Tea to Next Level!
You know what goes great with a dip in the pool on a hot, summer day? A nice, refreshing glass of iced tea — brewed and chilled to perfection!
Considering that one of the key components in iced tea is water, an ingredient that we happen to be particularly keen on, we thought it was only right to bring you some of the best ways to kick your iced tea game up a notch as summer approaches.
- Select your tea type wisely. Not all teas are created equal! Darker teas will yield a stronger flavor, while lighter, herbal teas will be softer on the palate. Also, remember that tea will taste slightly differently cold than it does warm. For best results, use four tea bags per liter of water, or one tablespoon total if using loose tea leaves.
- Forgo plastic for glass. The containers you choose to steep and store iced tea in really do matter. Plastic can absorb all of those great earthy flavors released by the tea leaves, and metal can leave an icky metallic taste behind. For best results, stick with glass pitchers and mason jars.
- Add a pinch of baking soda. It’s Southern tradition to add a small amount of baking soda to the hot water as you add your tea bags for steeping. It’s said that this simple addition can help produce a full, flavorful result in the end.
- Brew short and sweeten swiftly! Tea experts — yes, there seems to be such a thing! — recommend steeping tea bags for only 10-12 minutes to avoid a strong, bitter aftertaste. On that note, it’s also best practice to add any sugar or sweeteners while the water is still hot to give it the opportunity to dissolve and disperse evenly.
- Use clean, filtered water. Did you really think you’d get to the end of the list without us recommending clean, crisp, water filtration? Didn’t think so! While yes, we’ll admit we’re biased, we can assure you that the quality of the water you use to steep your tea can truly make all the difference. The same goes for the quality of the ice you scoop in after!
Want to learn more about how you can upgrade your home’s water game with a whole house filtration system and have the best iced tea on the block this year? If you live in Minnesota or Wisconsin, the water experts at Aquarius Water Conditioning are only a phone call away!
For more information about our specialty water filters, call 888-741-9025 and request your complimentary water analysis and estimate today.